Shredded, ready-to-eat cabbage and carrots are found in the produce section of the supermarket. They make preparing homemade coleslaw a breeze, especially when you add your own dressing to it. Bought coleslaw is usually dripping in mayonnaise and sometimes has added sugar.
• Any type of shrimp can be used.
• Lemon or lime juice can be used instead of bottled key lime juice.
• Buy shelled shrimp or ask for the shrimp to be shelled when you buy it. Many supermarkets will do this for a small fee.
• Make coleslaw and let it marinate while preparing shrimp and sauce.
• Boil shrimp.
• Make sauce.
Key West Shrimp
Serves: 2; Serving size: 1/2 recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp Key lime juice
- Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters full with water. Add the shrimp and Key lime juice. Make sure the water covers the shrimp. Add more if needed.
- Bring the water to a simmer with the bubbles just starting around the edge of the pot; the water will start to turn white. Take off the heat immediately and let sit 1 minute.
- Drain the shrimp and plunge into cold water if serving cold or serve immediately if serving hot.
- Serve with Key lime cocktail sauce.
Key Lime Cocktail Sauce
6 Tbsp ketchup
Several drops hot pepper sauce
2 tsp Key lime juice
- Mix all ingredients together and taste.
- Add seasoning if needed.
- Serve with Key West shrimp.
Key West Shrimp and Key Lime Cocktail Sauce
3 Lean Meat
Calories from Fat: 15
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: <1 g
Cholesterol: 240 mg
Sodium: 815 mg
Carbohydrate: 13 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 27 g